Sunday, October 5, 2008

Mass Media...?

I think it is very daring to ask one hundred fresh young minds, what Mass Media means to us.  Our minds buzz with answers to this question, and I believe that not one of them is wrong.  We are media students.  We are the future and prominently represent what will happen to our society and our culture because of the obscure power we have. Our personal opinions concerning Mass Media are compelling, and correct in their own way.  The definitions one would find when researching the term Mass Media include so many particular things, however..... the less obvious, but more accurate answer is that WE are mass media.  

After listening to lectures, reading relevant books, articles and online definitions, I gathered that Mass Media is any channel that distributes media to individuals, mass populations or to the whole world.  Channels such as the internet, newspapers, television programs, and magazines.  After reading several similar definitions, it occurred to me that the channels that carry the information and media to the public are very specific examples.  I think the most appropriate definition for Mass Media is simply us as individuals.  WE are the mass media.  Who writes the articles in the newspapers?  We do.  Who comes up with the stories on the news?  We do.  We are the channel that distributes the media to the public.  So now lets think about the question How do I understand the term Mass Media?  I understand the term Mass Media as a very broad, and powerful term.  To me, the example that best describes the definitions I read about is we, the people.  

Right now I’m thinking about the Media Autobiographies.  I listened to one hundred people perfectly exemplify the definition of Mass Media.  Every single one of them expressed some sort of media to the content listeners.  Every single one of them contributed to the flow of information dedicated to the audience.    

Are we taking this privilege for granted? 

No comments: